Thursday, August 18, 2011

Illustration #3 - No Kids!

Another illustration I made last year. I'm not quite too sure where the idea of this weird creature came from, I just sketched a panda bear spliced with a cow and a TV set and made it display what it ingested. The most random things I come up with while sketching... Anyway, I liked how it initially turned out, but I felt as if there was missing something in it. So I continued drawing and even made a full-fledged watercolor illustration out of it.

I changed the simple sketch into a more developed story: a group of kids pursue what fascinates them in spite of the consequences they may suffer in doing so. Why do they do this though? Because the object of their desire is so forbidden to them that they become more interested in it. "Why exactly can't we see this cow/panda/TV abomination?" "Is it because it is so valuable?" These are the questions the kids ask to themselves. Is it because the whateveritis is the last of it's species? Is it because the property has been marked a personal holy ground by the owner? Or is it that the agitated old man trope never ceases being entertaining and humorous despite how cliched it is? I think that's about right.

Revising that last paragraph actually, I realize I may have looked into the philosophy of it all a little too much. Nevertheless,  it was a concept that evolved into something that actually contained depth. And to me that was what actually made it feel complete.

Done with watercolors and some Prismacolor colored-pencils on Pentell Nature Sketch sketchbook paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment