Sunday, November 18, 2012

Fan Art Illustration #1 - Puella Magi Madoka Magica


I'm normally not a huge fan of fan art itself. I've always preferred drawing original work. However, I recently  watched an anime called Puella Magi Madoka Magica and it's become one of my favorite pieces of animation yet! Now, I'm a huge animation fanatic and anime is no exception. Hayao Miyazaki and Satoshi Kon remain to be among my favorite directors in animation still. They create animation that's subtle, spiritual, and above all else mature that you don't really see what represents the stereotype of Eastern animation. It's a phenomenal cartoon that deconstructs the Japanese magical girl genre and creates something dark, artistic, and mature. I liked the show so much that I wanted to make a drawing that really captured the core of the show.

Overall, I ended up really liking it so I might do some more fan art of other things; the Portal series and The Windwaker I have illustrations in mind.

Made with Windsor and Newton Cotman Watercolor and Ink on watercolor paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment